French is renowned to be the language of love, so when it comes to declaring your feelings, French is the way to express yourself. We have picked for you the most romantic ways of saying ‘I love you’ in French…
How to say ‘I love you’ in French
This one is pretty well-known across the world, and straightforward.
“Aimer” means to “love”, but it can also mean “to like”, as in “j’aime le foie gras” (“I like foie gras”). However, when you say “je t’aime” to someone, it means you are really in love with that person – it is not something you can say thoughtlessly.
“Je t’aime” can also be told to parents and siblings.
Ten Romantic phrases you might also need …
1. How to say ‘you are my soul mate’ in French
Tu es mon âme sœur
You are my soul mate. The “œu” in “Sœur ” (like “Cœur”) is pronounced “uh”.
2. How to say ‘I love you with all my heart’ in French
Je t’aime de tout mon cœur
3. How to say ‘I love you madly‘ in French
Je t’aime à la folie
4. How to say ‘it was love at first sight‘ in French
Ça a été un coup de foudre
It was love at first sight – literally “it was a lightning strike”.
5. How to say ‘I will always love you‘ in French
Je t’aimerai toujours
6. How to say ‘you are the love of my life’ in French
Tu es l’amour de ma vie
7. How to say ‘you’re the apple of my eye’ in French
Tu es la prunelle de mes yeux
You are the apple of my eye. “Prunelle” means sloe (so another type of fruit!), but also the eye’s pupil. This one is a bit twee and not used so much these days.
8. How to say ‘I love you so much I could die’
Je t’aime à en mourir
9. How to say ‘I will miss you’
Tu me manques
10. How to say ‘will you marry me’
Veux-tu m’épouser ?
Not at that stage yet? Read our article about flirting in French!